112 thoughts on “Photo Essay: Kyushu Island, Japan

1. DoF@theinfill

I really enjoy the mix of photos, particularly like the differing angles of the buildings and the homeliness of the kettles, but please tell me what the figures in stone are wearing. πŸ˜‰

2. RemarkablyRenee

Unbelieveably gorgeous photos! I’ve always wanted to go to Kyushu, and you’ve cemented that desire!
    Now I’ve got to go buy a plane ticket if you’ll excuse me.
    πŸ™‚

3. David Krancher

Reblogged this on dk and commented:
    As a worder, I appreciate the value in three-dimensional art. Kyushu tells a story here, along with the help of Laurie, The Perpetual Vagabond.

(AKA

4. The Perpetual Vagabond Post author

Wow, thank you everyone for the wonderful comments! Kyushu is truly spectacular! I unfortunately do not know much about the statues or the bibs…as there was a bit of a language barrier…Looks like I will have to do some research!! Cheers!

5. Leah

Fantastic photos! Except for Okinawa, I haven’t been off Honshu yet. I would love to see Kyushu.

The bibs on the statues–those are statues of Jizo, a Boddhisattva who protects children. They are decorated by parents whose children die prematurely so that he will take the children to the underworld properly. There’s a really good Japanese Buddhist dictionary with an explanation here: http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/jizo1.shtml#RedBibHat

6. filmcamera999

..japan is one of those places that ive always wanted to see….i was once in the pacific northwest of the usa, and japan would’ve been just a hop away, but i just didnt get the courage to to do it! maybe soon…very good photos…would like a few more of the buildings in the little towns, narrow alleys etc..!

7. irsanadenz

so beutiful ,, I want a vacation to Japan 😦 , but Indonesia with Japan is too far away so it takes a lot of money to be a vacation to Japan,, hehehee: D

8. njaleruma

That small but wonderful gadget ( CAMERA) had the secret,give me one you will find all the pictures from the Pearl of Africa lined on your wall.Thank you.

9. cnaska

beautiful pictures.. I especially like the pictures of teapots and the alleyway but they’re all very nice.

10. Brenda K

Natsukashii! I was an exchange student for a year in Fukuoka (NW Kyushu) and LOVED it! Went back after graduating U and spent another seven years or so in Tokyo and loved that too.

11. The Blissful Adventurer

Wow! I want to go here and dive into the wonderful Japanese country foods!
    I just want to say congrats for being freshly pressed today. This was my first time in that club and want to shout out to all of you who share this great day with me.

12. Pingback: Kyushu Island, Japan « gailandbrian

13. carlsonwebtech

The photo of the teapots is the strongest of the set. I love it! Looking forward to future posts.

14. Pingback: Two Years! | The Perpetual Vagabond